Federal hiring freeze prevents hiring Snow Ranger

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federal hiring freeze prevents hiring Snow Ranger

I contacted both Senator Jeanne Shaheen and Senator Maggie Hassan today with the following message:
    Dear Senator-
    I met with Androscoggin Ranger District assistant district ranger, Justin Preisendorfer on Tuesday, and discussed our mutual concern that the federal hiring freeze prevents fully staffing the Mount Washington Avalanche Center as we enter April, the busiest month of Spring Skiing season.
    This poses an imminent threat to public safety. One more Snow Ranger is needed, and was budgeted, but the position cannot be filled without some intervention at higher levels of government. By mid May, the MWAC will be closed for the season, rendering this point moot. Unless some action occurs immediately, any relaxation of the hiring freeze will come too late to add the additional specialized forest ranger required in April.
    Is there anything you can do?
    I volunteered with AVSAR for 18 years assisting USFS and NHFG search & rescue
    There are frequently multiple simultaneous accidents in the ravines, on the Presidential Range, and throughout the WMNF on Spring weekends, stretching all first-responder resources beyond their capacity.
    Sincerely
    Jon Hall
    "The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait till that other is ready." - Henry David Thoreau

Thank you! I'll try to add a frequent traveller's interest later today. ...Done!
    Last edited by RR; 03-23-2017, 08:02 AM.
    Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!

Comment

Prime example why those of us who hold WFA or WFR certifications should be on the swivel while on the east side (or anywhere for that matter).

This spring season, those of us who are educated and trained should think beyond our daily objectives and perhaps lend a hand.

Maybe not in the sense of standing on the ravine floor and keeping a look out - but if you see something say something.

We can all educate others - and as our community grows educationally, the amount of accidents are bound to drop.

Comment

I'm not sure if this helped MWAC obtain any additional money or hire a 4th snow ranger, or if this was just the status quo of Justin Preisendorfer and Brian Johnston filling in. I am impressed that Senator Shaheen's "North country staff" took an interest in my phone call and email, and followed up. Senator Hassan's Manchester office did not know what to make of my call, because it fell outside the categories of constituent messages for issues that they track.
        On Apr 13, 2017 1:11 PM, "Waskowicz, Eric (Shaheen)" <Eric_Waskowicz@shaheen.senate.gov> wrote:
        Dear Jonathan,
        Thank you for your email to Senator Shaheenís office last month regarding the effects of the federal hiring freeze on staffing operations at the Mount Washington Avalanche Center ahead of the spring skiing season.
        Following your email, staff in Senator Shaheenís Berlin office spoke with WMNF officials and confirmed that they were able to bring on a new lead snow ranger through an internal transfer to staff Mount Washington and the surrounding ravines. With the help from some former and part-time snow rangers (perhaps you even may have volunteered by this point), they are covering the schedule fully.
        I hope this alleviates some of your (justified) concerns. As a skier myself, I agree fully that a fully workable staff is necessary for skier safety.
        Please do not hesitate to reach out to me with any further questions.
        Best regards,
        Eric Waskowicz
        Office of U.S. Senator Jeanne Shaheen
        "The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait till that other is ready." - Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Interesting, was talking to one of the rangers Saturday in the bowl and he mentioned something about they were able to hire someone for 30 days as an emergency hire, but he gave me the impression that was over and they will be one short. I don't remember the exact details but if you know any of them personally you may want to ask. I wonder how old that info was.

Comment

Originally posted by Lftgly View Post
            I'm not sure if this helped MWAC obtain any additional money or hire a 4th snow ranger, or if this was just the status quo of Justin Preisendorfer and Brian Johnston filling in. I am impressed that Senator Shaheen's &quot;North country staff&quot; took an interest in my phone call and email, and followed up. Senator Hassan's Manchester office did not know what to make of my call, because it fell outside the categories of constituent messages for issues that they track.
            On Apr 13, 2017 1:11 PM, &quot;Waskowicz, Eric (Shaheen)&quot; <Eric_Waskowicz@shaheen.senate.gov> wrote:
            Wow, very nice response based on the situation!
            Skiing to live, Living to ski.

Comment

Working...
            X