Avalanche claims skier's life in Wasatch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avalanche claims skier's life in Wasatch

Apropos of yuckster's comments about the snowpack out west in a neighboring avalanche thread:

http://www.firsttracksonline.com/201...anche-in-utah/

Of note, forecast rating for the Wasatch was High with pockets of Considerable . . .
    we're all living proof that nothing lasts

Incidentally, take a look at the picture in that link, noting where and in what kind of terrain the crown line is, the descent line/terrain, and where the skier's body was found. Wow.
    we're all living proof that nothing lasts

Comment

I was digging pits that day for one of my classes on the opposite side of the canyon. Current conditions are more or less that it's more difficult to trigger something than it was a week ago, but if it does go, it's going to go big. We've got about 60cm of facets and depth hoar underneath 60-100cm (depending on which aspect you're on) of stuff that's been getting more and more compacted.
      I like to ski naked

Life is a carnival, believe it or not
      Life is a carnival, take another look

Comment

Apparently it was someone over on TGR.
        "Information is not knowledge
        Knowledge is not wisdom
        Wisdom is not truth
        Truth is not beauty
        Beauty is not love
        Love is not music
        Music is THE BEST."

Comment

Originally posted by benwhiteskis View Post
          I was digging pits that day for one of my classes on the opposite side of the canyon. Current conditions are more or less that it's more difficult to trigger something than it was a week ago, but if it does go, it's going to go big. We've got about 60cm of facets and depth hoar underneath 60-100cm (depending on which aspect you're on) of stuff that's been getting more and more compacted.
          I was there that day, riding off that ridge in the bowl to the skier's left of that slide.

The trigger point was a grauple pool at the base of a cliff -- a pretty classic danger point.

I've dug some pits up there and it's facets all the way to ground up high in Dutch and McDonald Draws.

Tommy T.

PS: I'm not going to hang around T4T because I no longer have any connection with East Coast skiing and riding, but PM will show up in my email (I've updated my address), if anybody on T4T wants to explore this or wants advice on Western areas. I ride around 100 days a year and I've skied or riden 96 lift served areas in North America and Europe and I've at least tinkered with backcountry in Montana, Idaho, Oregon, Colorado, Wyoming, California, New Mexico and Utah.
          I've cut my hair and left this community but will receive email notification of PMs. Good snow, have fun and remember the third rule.

Comment

vibes... always sad to see/hear stories like this...
            Ohhh, they have the internet on computers now?!?!

Comment

Working...
            X