Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TR: Lake Placid Ironman Crew 2006

Ironman: Part I:

No snow to report, sorry... but I must say volunteering for the Lake Placid Ironman is a MUST do item for your summertime list of tings to do. Kate, myself and my son Adam volunteered to help out this year along with some 3,000 or so volunteers. I believe some 2,200 athletes entered this year from all over the world.

Weather was a mix of rain in the morning, then fantastic sunny, clear weather in the afternoon providing for a near perfect day and some amazing photos.

A 'few' photos I managed to take...

Pre-race day... meeting for volunteers. Kate had volunteered for the transition tent, and co-incidently met up with Affix Snow's mom and sister who also helped out in the tent... hey we're where you Dave???

Race day... hey feels just like we're going to school! Had to get up at 5:30am to 'get the bus' over to the Oval... didn't want to miss the start of the race!

Thousand's huddled under umbrella's to watch the start of the race... 2,220 athletes racing into the water all at once... what a sight!

Holy Sardins Batman!!

A 2.4 mile swim across Mirror Lake and back (twice)...

One of the first group of bikers to complete the first half of the course...

Me.. exhausted after the second transition... man I stuffed so many of those bags with smelly clothes let me tell you!

Kate survived too... Probably was a prettier sight in the Woman's tent though...

more shortly...
    Dave - TFT Founder, Administrator & Tuck's Junky

Way cool... nice TR and cudos for volunteering!
    Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!

Comment

WOW! they really go to town for that event huh?
      I don't do drugs, I am drugs. --Salvador Dali

Comment

I Hung out with my Dad, Uncle, and the Fiance....we drank beer.

That race is inspiring though!
        www.somebrewingco.com

Comment

Originally posted by Affix Snow
          I Hung out with my Dad, Uncle, and the Fiance....we drank beer.

That race is inspiring though!

Comment

Nice shots.... (insert applauding smiley) I can't imagine trying to swim ina cluster like that.... Throw in some piranhas and the fish would be runnin' away!

Jolly good show!
            Carvé Diem!
            Energy follows thought

Comment

Originally posted by PWDR8S
              Jolly good show!
              Sorry you must be mistaken...that wasn't me.
              Cheers

Jolly J

Comment

Originally posted by Jolly J
                Sorry you must be mistaken...that wasn't me.
                LOL, was thinking the same thing...

Comment

Originally posted by skicdave

A 2.4 mile swim across Mirror Lake and back (twice)...
                  Is it just me or does that kayaker look lost, in the way, confused...
                  SNOW! SNOW!! SNOW!!

Comment

Originally posted by SkiDog
                    Is it just me or does that kayaker look lost, in the way, confused...
                    Nope.. there were probably about 50 kayaks, canoes, boats of sorts along with lots of divers too to assist anyone who potentially could get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by skicdave
                      Nope.. there were probably about 50 kayaks, canoes, boats of sorts along with lots of divers too to assist anyone who potentially could get into trouble.
                      How much help could the single seater kayak be? Nobody could climb into it... unless they held on and got dragged to shore.... Curious... I would've thought different type of kayak or even canoe would be better but I guess speed to the scene may have been the idea.... or these were personal crafts of volunteers. Either way, I just found it odd.

And Jolly J.... indeed... I had no intentions of implying that you would undertake such an endevour of such physical prowess... please forgive me and pass me a beer. Actually, I had just gotten off the tele with a bunch of Brits on an international phone conference when I wrote that and I guess it was the residual Brit effect.
                      Carvé Diem!
                      Energy follows thought

Comment

Before my swimming improved I was literally run over and clubbed by swimmers passing me in the first 3 Tri's I did.

Those boaters were there because that stuff happens a lot.

At Sharon, MA I was six feet under water being pummeled by a swimmer who was in turn being pummeled by a swimmer above her...freaky moment...(I came out of the water in 188th place and finished the bike in 24th, passed 5 runners and then my back seized up...I finished 35th).
                        Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!

Comment

Originally posted by PWDR8S
                          How much help could the single seater kayak be? Nobody could climb into it... unless they held on and got dragged to shore.... Curious... I would've thought different type of kayak or even canoe would be better but I guess speed to the scene may have been the idea.... or these were personal crafts of volunteers. Either way, I just found it odd.

And Jolly J.... indeed... I had no intentions of implying that you would undertake such an endevour of such physical prowess... please forgive me and pass me a beer. Actually, I had just gotten off the tele with a bunch of Brits on an international phone conference when I wrote that and I guess it was the residual Brit effect.
                          answer: grabble hooks

Comment

Grapple hooks with barbs? Like extra large fish hooks? Yee~ouch!
                            Carvé Diem!
                            Energy follows thought

Comment

Ironman Part II:

Was a huge crowd EVERYWHERE in LP land. Here is the finish line in the Oval...

Perfect mountains views. This guy looks like he just started out for a jog, but its 6:30pm and he had been swimming, biking, running since 7am!

Perfect day for hiking too...

My turn to participate in 'Ironman'. One big beer at the Tail o' Pub in Ray Brook..

Completed the 'task' in under 5 minutes!

Post Ironman Boating on Lake Flower... as usual in the Lake Placid area, Whiteface is often visible..

Stopping in Saranac at Mountain Mist Custard... oops they put WAY too much cheese on Kate's cheese dog... yuck

Parting shot.. mountain mist on approach to Whiteface Mountain...

Comment

Working...
                              X