Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gulf of Slides: April 11, 2019

From the same day as the Ramond Cataract avvy:

My little test pit in GOS revealed that slalomming around the larger patches of windslab and sking the glazed sugar of the sun warmed bed surface was the way to go. (The thin wind slabs, 1-8 inches, could easily fracture and were not well bonded to the crust. That 6-8 inches of strudy crust was sitting on 4-6 inches of sugared snow, which sat on a broken crust layer. 2-4 inches thick. Having learned what I wanted, I stopped there and refilled the pit.)

Bluebird at start with a few whispy clouds later on. The crust picked up a reflective sun crust that peeled away beautifully on each turn. The thin slabs broke off corners and edges but didn't cut loose.

The skinny gully next to #1 had, on many previous attempts, kicked my butt. Not so yesterday.

We went over to Hermit Lake through the Graham Link Carwash. Andrew took a run up and down Hilman's while I waited on the sunny deck at Hojo's. The Sherby was very nice, fully covered too. One note, the wave just after Dead Man's Turn is getting big, take it easy off that turn.
    Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!

Nice outing Rob👍

Comment

Sounds like a great tour Rob. Thanks for posting. Love GOS. I miss NH, especially this time of year.
      Gregg

Comment

Originally posted by skibumm100 View Post
        Sounds like a great tour Rob. Thanks for posting. Love GOS. I miss NH, especially this time of year.
        for sure, NH is not the best of regions for mid winter skiing but the spring skiing is really hard to beat here.

Comment

Originally posted by bucksaw View Post

for sure, NH is not the best of regions for mid winter skiing but the spring skiing is really hard to beat here.
          Yup, no better corn snow with all day staying power anywhere compared to high NH. Fact. The only time you have to time it is when yer waiting for it to soften. Once itís soft, have at it. No need to change aspects due to glop out.

Comment

Working...
          X