T2Bx2 solo - 3/26/2018

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T2Bx2 solo - 3/26/2018

Been thinking about this for a little while, and Monday’s weather set up perfectly.

Clear starry sky and cold at the start, first summit time around 8:30 was 6º with good northeast wind that blew snow in my face on every right turn in the east snowfields (I didn’'t bring goggles only sunglasses!). Everything up high was stunningly beautiful——fascinating wind texturing that made for an otherworldly look. I had never skied snow quite like it— tricky because patches of hard styrofoam and soft powdery drifts looked almost identical so you had to be careful. I dropped the lip into an utterly empty bowl and thought, “What the heck, I’'ve got all day!”… Sherb was just fine.

Early lunch/late breakfast at Pinks, then lap 2. This time there was a good number of happy skiers and climbers on the hill, all marveling at the weather. I don’t think I’'ve ever been up there in such still and clear! Not a BREATH of wind, nor a cloud in the sky, on top around 2:00. Good sunbathing, happy people. Legs were a little tired so right gully was the choice this time, followed by a quad burning sherb back home.

Photosharing has changed I think— a few pics here I hope will display:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/3hrKy4bUlcKamKsm2
    Last edited by M V Skier; 03-28-2018, 01:34 PM.

Way to go Whit!!!💪

Comment

Very nice! Great to see the bowl so filled in. What app is that how it is with battery life?

Comment

Originally posted by concordia2 View Post
        Very nice! Great to see the bowl so filled in. What app is that how it is with battery life?
        The app is GaiaGPS. I love it and can't say enough about it, been using it for about 7 or 8 years. It's a good navigation app, not trivial to use though, it takes some learning. Extremely useful and versatile. The Achilles heal of course is if your touchscreen gets wet! GPS tracks are great souveniers. I actually just replaced the battery on my iphone 6S plus. I think after tracking for 12 hours the battery was at maybe half. It definitely helps to stay in airplane mode, but I kinda forgot after a while the other day and left airplane mode off probably half the time.
        Last edited by M V Skier; 03-28-2018, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Ha! I have that app too, but never seen that screen. It probably proves your point - "not trivial to use though, it takes some learning". I always reluctant to use it with constant tracking on because of "range anxiety". Used it just for waypoints and orientation. I only got the app last year before the trip to Canyonlands, where we were off the grid for several days, so battery life was very critical. This year I have a newer better phone, so will try track recording.

Comment

Originally posted by concordia2 View Post
            Ha! I have that app too, but never seen that screen. It probably proves your point - "not trivial to use though, it takes some learning". I always reluctant to use it with constant tracking on because of "range anxiety". Used it just for waypoints and orientation. I only got the app last year before the trip to Canyonlands, where we were off the grid for several days, so battery life was very critical. This year I have a newer better phone, so will try track recording.
            If I’m planning on a long day of tracking and photos and stuff, I always bring along one of those battery pack/portable chargers. A couple ounces of weight seems worth it. I ran a 6 day track last summer backpacking in the Sawtooths —(for the eclipse!-awesome!) with my phone and a good charger. Tracked pretty much all day every day.

Comment

Sweet 2 laps.

Those conditions are fun but tricky.

Comment

One for the books! Nice going
                Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!

Comment

Thanks for sharing! Great photos, too.
                  "The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait till that other is ready." - Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Great photos! What a day! Thanks.

Comment

That photo of the bowl backlit is nice. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                      X