Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burt Ravine - 3/20/2018

MARCH 20, 2018 – BURT RAVINE

Isolated pockets of powder provided nice, soft turns for skiing through the slalom course of brush-gates. With untracked snow deep enough to control speed, it was possible to link slo-mo turns down the low-angle streambed. Taking advantage of three-day-old storm snow that was unaffected by wind, we avoided obvious weak spots and open water hazards in Clay Brook, and descended to the end of the 2010 avalanche runout.
    In all honesty, I would not go back and ski Burt again any time soon. It needs a lot more snow. I can’t recommend it. It was a big deal, if we linked more than 3 or 4 turns. The skiing wasn’t very good, except for recon. There is no substitute for first-hand snowpack observations, and the weather provided great visibility.

Then we ascended back towards the Cog, and stumbled upon this recent slide path. It said “ski me” to us. We could not refuse.
    We call it, “TRICK OR TREAT”:

We did a beacon check before we ventured across this slope, then crossed it one at a time. Looking up, I estimate its 200 vertical feet to the top, and looking down, 300 vertical feet to Clay Brook, below us. This very recent slide path was remarkably free of obstructions, rock outcroppings, or tree trunks, and appeared to be a very smooth anchor-free bed surface of rock and soil, under a variable layer of snow approximately a foot deep, possibly more at lower elevation. There is a spine in the middle, at a snowdrift halfway down on the left, in the photograph below, where the slide splits into separate left and right paths.
    SAFETY NOTE: We did not “dig a pit”, but there is no question, this is avalanche terrain - and worse - it shows signs of recent landslide activity. We switched our beacons back into transmit mode. We evaluated the stability from the adjacent forest, considered route-finding choices for ascending or crossing the terrain, and any obvious potential snow problems. This is clearly high-consequence terrain, with a drowning hazard, looking down at that terrain trap with open water holes in Clay Brook, in addition to the usual trauma risk. The wide-open slope with virtually no anchors was a red-flag. I counted 4 small field-stone size rocks poking through the snow surface above us, and they appeared to be loose stone, not bedrock outcrop. FALLING ROCKS and ICE HAZARD may be high on a warm day. The thinner snow slabs covering the slopes above us were worrisome, and we decided against ascending any higher. We also decided against skiing that untracked slope, skiers-right, in the picture below.

We crossed this one at a time, to a spot in the trees on the other side, out of the fall-line, where we transitioned from climbing skins to downhill mode. We dropped in to the slide about 3 or 4 turns above the fork. The two slide paths join again, where they run-out into the streambed of Clay Brook North.

The skiers-right side, the “TRICK” side, had a slight convexity, and was more sun- and wind-affected. There was a breakable surface slab that was obvious as we skinned across it. An observation of the stability included evidence a small deer or summit fox had recently run down the suspect slope, a few hours ahead of us, and left a row of sitzmarks every twelve feet, almost straight down the fall-line, marking where it’s leaps and bounds had tested the slope. Skiers-left was a TREAT. I counted out 16 perfect soft powder turns, before I had to stop, at a tree trunk in the line. On the shadier skiers-left side, the snow was soft and dry, unaffected by wind, and apparently deep enough to cover any surface rocks.

"The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait till that other is ready." - Henry David Thoreau

Beauty!

Comment

Great trip report Jon! I hope the flatlanders don't find your new powder stash!
      "It's not an adventure without some waist deep post holing"-Boog

Comment

Nice Jon!

Great to see a trip report on here from you again.🙂

Well I was going to post a trip report but can’t get photos to attach or download or or or.
        Last edited by icelanticskier; 03-25-2018, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Awesome! Great photos.
          Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!

Comment

And he is back!!! Thanks for the great report! I hope more reports to come from you! Did you pay for the parking?

Comment

Originally posted by concordia2 View Post
              Did you pay for the parking?
              Funny you should ask, I paid double for parking, because I didn't have change for a $20 bill. At the end of the day, I had a pleasant conversation with Wayne Presby regarding the parking fees, and I decided not to ask for change for my $20. We also discussed his proposed Skyline Hotel. He explained he wants to offer a unique European experience, that you can't get at an AMC hut.
              "The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait till that other is ready." - Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by Lftgly View Post
                Funny you should ask, I paid double for parking, because I didn't have change for a $20 bill. At the end of the day, I had a pleasant conversation with Wayne Presby regarding the parking fees, and I decided not to ask for change for my $20. We also discussed his proposed Skyline Hotel. He explained he wants to offer a unique European experience, that you can't get at an AMC hut.
                Parking fees, yurp pee'n experience hotel, I'm all for both. Whatever helps to keep green plater nation numbers down.🤗

Comment

Nice. Super to see you back up there.

Comment

Dave Lottman's video shows much better views of the new 500' slide path in Burt Ravine than my still photos.

Comment

Dave Lottman's blog post has all the beta on this line, including the map below:
                      https://northeastalpinestart.com/2018/03/29/exploring-a-new-slide-path/

Comment

Now it’ll be moguls

Comment

Originally posted by icelanticskier View Post
                          Now it'll be moguls
                          Yeah, the blog-free zone gets more crowded every year

Comment

Don't understand posting the map

Comment

Originally posted by Cat in January View Post
                              Don't understand posting the map
                              First, i make maps for a living, and for fun. I love maps. Dave Lottman beat me to mapping it, but how the hell are you gonna find this without a map? Plus, you can see it from 10 miles away, so it is already no secret. Second, Dave's blog already had over a thousand views, last time I checked. Who the heck is gonna see this map in Rogers private blog? A hundred ppl, maybe, still look at T4T. The days of 43 thousand views on the Westside thread are ancient history. You should be more concerned about Dave's map being posted on the Facebook page that killed this forum. If it hasnt already shown up there. I don't know, I havent followed Michael apostalou's facebook group since they invaded Lincolns Throat and turned it into moguls.

Comment

Working...
                              X