15APR2017 - - DB and MB

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15APR2017 - - DB and MB

Up at 4AM, arrived at 7:35, finding the small lot almost half full. I was skinning by 7:50AM. The trip to Gem Pool was fine, but it was booting from there. The upper river crossing was very spicy.

Reached Lakes according to plan, chitchat ensued but then it was time...Double Barrel awaited, but where? Fortunately a couple of guys I skied Gnarl Factor with were there and returned the favor by showing me the entrance to DB. There was a tiny bit of roll-over, but it was just a prelude to a welcoming little snowfield amidst the brush and a nice chute...for which my 176cm skis would have been a better choice. It was so much fun I broke out in tele turns... Down at 4300' I headed left and got down to an open stream at 4200'.
    I skinned back to the west exit and realized that one and done was the smart thing. LOC hut has a few wind sheltering nooks for basking in the sun and a nice bench in smokers' corner.

After a suitable rest and recovery, Monroe Brook. I crossed in low, as usual, but the headwall would have been better, fat and looking like it would hang on for another week at least.

Down low MB was showing the usual beginnings of adventure skiing....fortunately, the alt is working nicely, for those willing to hit the excitingly arranged entrance ramp with sufficient speed.

Parking lot apres was in effect. Wonderfull seeing folks I haven't seen in a long time and playing stick with an enrgetic Alsation.

Looking East from the Crawford Path

Looking West out of the West Exit at the East Snowfield of Monroe

From LOC, what was left of Monroe's NE Snowfield

Traverse on a line to the top of Bretton Woods to get to the headwall of Monroe Brook

Looking up into Monroe Brook

Looking down MB
    Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!

Nice, Thanks for the report. Was going to head up today but it looks like things are going to firm up.

Comment

Nice one Rob! Blissfull smooth soft corn at mildcat right now😎

Comment

Originally posted by Skidmarks View Post
        Nice, Thanks for the report. Was going to head up today but it looks like things are going to firm up.
        You made the right call. Even East side is pretty socked in right now and I bet it's firm up there. Sunny/partly cloudy across the street. Wind not bad and on the decrease.

Comment

Nice to see you again, Rob.
          Glad you had a good day!

Comment

Originally posted by YeloBlammo View Post
            Glad you had a good day!
            It looked to me you guys were into a huge day. Thanks for the directions!
            Last edited by RR; 04-18-2017, 06:27 PM.
            Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!

Comment

Originally posted by YeloBlammo View Post
              Glad you had a good day!
              Second that! Great skiing + great apres conversation in the parking lot makes for a great day.

Comment

Beautiful pics! MB looks like it filled it nice this season, but with the warm temps it wot last long!
                Skiing to live, Living to ski.

Comment

Yes, nice pics! Less snow and more dark in the pictures every day... #SAD And I did not expect Saturday to be that blue bird day! Nice score Rob!

Comment

Working...
                  X