Tuckerman Trip Report Feb 3, 2004

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuckerman Trip Report Feb 3, 2004

Well what a fine day in the ravine today! Glad to see that the T-Bar is finally in, but after all the technical difficulties were worked out, it seems to be running fine.

Rumours were floating about that the right side was going to be reserved for tubers, but turns out that rumour was false. Tubers are out of luck.

Lift tickets are sold at Pinkham Notch, so if you hike all the way up, and don't have your ticket... your out of luck and will have to hike back down to pay your dues. I suspect there will be issue with 'scalpers' in the near future. Apparently only 75 tickets are sold on a first come, first serve basis. All proceeds go towards the future platter elevator which will ascend the headwall, believe it or not.

This lift services lower Chute, Lower Center Gully, Headwall Cheat, Bowl Runout, Lunch Rocks Rum, Little Headwall Hucker, HoJos or Bust and, of course, The Sherburne.

There is a little warming hut at the top (which is about half way up the bowl). They serve freehot chocolate and sell some niffy new I road the Tuckerman T-Bar T-shirts, as well as avy equipment, ice axes and used rock skis. Not sure if the rental operation will be in service, at least for a few weeks.

Note: The T-Bar is temporarily shutdown during avalanches. In this case your lift ticket is none refundable, but lifties promise to dig you out.

I enjoyed my day, but I foresee issues with those skiers falling over the headwall who no doubt will plow into those going up the T-Bar. Maybe a safety net will be installed...

Tuckerman Ravine T-Bar

Last edited by skicdave; 01-18-2009, 08:50 AM.
    Dave - TFT Founder, Administrator & Tuck's Junky

Dave,

The lift is nice but the grooming could use a lot of work, and don't get me started on snow making.

surfy
    Ski today, work tomorrow

Comment

Grooming? Ya right. Come on this is backcountry! No grooming allowed

As far as snowmaking is concerned, the frequent avalanches take care of that. Then again my idea of volunteers above the bowl with would work just fine.
      Last edited by skicdave; 02-03-2004, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Is it me, or is that t-Bar pulling the poeple DOWN the ravine?

Not that that wouldn't be good, I know a couple people who got a little higher than they wanted to and had to be "rescued" (i.e. talked down)

M@
        Skiing Naked is Fine

Comment

Originally posted by M@

Not that that wouldn't be good, I know a couple people who got a little higher than they wanted to and had to be "rescued" (i.e. talked down)

M@
          No worry M@... its the camera location and angle... optical illusion. Maybe they have even done some conturing.

Comment

ummmm the last group...ie the ones closest to us...yep I am sure I can see their faces. So if it is in fact pulling up hill...there is only one possible explaination....the last couple is Linda Blair and the devil himself.

The Exorcist T-Bar.

Maybe the dark one is up training for the son of inferno race???? The name of the race now makes much more sense to me.
            "The arsonist had oddly shaped feet."

Ron Burgundy

Comment

Originally posted by M@
              It's like a MC Escher drawing...
              "The Revolution Will Not Be Televised"
              --
              Interactive Tuckerman Ravine Map

Comment

I'm disappointed! I mean, the T-Bar doesn't even go up to the base of the headwall!

Hopefully the heated 12-passenger gondola to the summit will be completed in a few weeks...
                Life:
                Skiing, Sleep, Food
                The rest is just distractions...

Comment

Originally posted by DMC
                  It's like a MC Escher drawing...
                  "picture"
                  Nice. EscherTucker
                  M@
                  Skiing Naked is Fine

Comment

Originally posted by NH_tele
                    I'm disappointed! I mean, the T-Bar doesn't even go up to the base of the headwall!

Hopefully the heated 12-passenger gondola to the summit will be completed in a few weeks...
                    Ya it goes to the base! As close as you would expect. Gondola... hmmm I'll work on that. What else you want? Bar? Hot tub? Backcountry Dancing Girls? Best Buy Ski Rentals?

Comment

Originally posted by skicdave
                      What else you want? Bar? Hot tub? Backcountry Dancing Girls? Best Buy Ski Rentals?
                      Chicken \\'ings.
                      Beer.
                      Bacon.

Maybe an internet connection.

M@
                      Skiing Naked is Fine

Comment

Ok M@... I agree Internet access at Tucks would be a plus. Bacon? Now thats ridiculous! Next you'll be asking for a pig farm!

Comment

Ok M@... I agree Internet access at Tucks would be a plus. Bacon? Now thats ridiculous! Next you'll be asking for a pig farm!
                          Okay - how about simpson's then?
                          Skiing Naked is Fine

Comment

Rumor has it that back around the turn of the century they tried raising cows in the Cow Pasture for a summer; the hotel at the summit apparently wanted fresh milk...

Anyway, I think they gave it up after one year...
                            Life:
                            Skiing, Sleep, Food
                            The rest is just distractions...

Comment

Nice job in photoshop They are going down. Next I want to see a lift edited in a movie. U'd need a chromakeyer though. Personally I prefer the triple up hillmans to the T-bar on the bowl. It tires the arms out.

Comment

Working...
                              X