Oakes Gulf & Monroe Brook 4-14-2012

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oakes Gulf & Monroe Brook 4-14-2012

Skinned up ART to 3800', hiked the next 400' around the waterfall, then skinned the rest of the way to Lakes of the Clouds.

Skinned up Mt Monroe, then skied off Monroe's summit, down East snowfields to DoubleBarrel.

Started down main line of DoubleBarrel, but choke point was filled with trees (?!?), so headed down skiers-left. Then I turned right below that choke point, to finish skiing down the main line on skiers-right.

Skinned back up to summit, and skied a second run down the East snowfields of Mt Monroe. I contoured around the mountain to Lakes of the Clouds hut, and continued over to Monroe Brook on thin snow.

Skied Monroe Brook from top of skiers-left. Nice soft, wet snow all the way down from the top, to my tracks from Friday. By late Saturday afternoon, there was no dry snow left on the shady side, it was like butter wall-to-wall.

ART should have been hiked-out, but I finished on skis. What little snow remained on the hiking trail had softened by late afternoon, and offered little protection from the rocks.

A few light base-scratches later, but otherwise no worse for wear, back at the trailhead parking lot, I had a beer with the crew who had skied Great Gulf via the Cog. I look forward to that TR!
    Last edited by Lftgly; 04-15-2012, 06:32 AM. Reason: Added photo lynx
    "...and Considerable is not the new Moderate..." -Chris Joosen, Lead Snow Ranger, MWAC

Nice!
    we're all living proof that nothing lasts

Comment

Nice TR
      From across the ridge I saw someone dropping off from the backside of Boot Spur area into Oakes around 9am yesterday. You?
      More Snow Please?
      My Blog

Comment

WOW! MB still lets folks find a way down...can't knock surprises like that...

Cool TR
        Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!

Comment

Originally posted by surf88 View Post
          ...someone dropping off from the backside of Boot Spur area into Oakes around 9am yesterday. You?
          No, I reached Lakes of the Clouds after Noon, and only skied 2 runs on the Monroe side of Oakes. I didn't see any lines worth skiing on the Boot Spur side of Oakes, maybe the skier you saw was headed to GOS.
          "...and Considerable is not the new Moderate..." -Chris Joosen, Lead Snow Ranger, MWAC

Comment

Nice TR! Btw since you hang around in there all the time, if you spot a pair of skins on the way out...those be mine.
            http://easternbackcountry.com | Twitter: @eastbackcountry

Comment

Amazed that MB is still skiable. Loving the TRs!
              "Information is not knowledge
              Knowledge is not wisdom
              Wisdom is not truth
              Truth is not beauty
              Beauty is not love
              Love is not music
              Music is THE BEST."

Comment

Ditto what Seeker said. I thought MB would be toast by now. This is giving me ideas...

Comment

Working...
                X