Tux wrapup! 7/2/11

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tux wrapup! 7/2/11

Wow, what a great day to end my season on. The weather was awesome. In contrast to the last couple weeks of June, when the ravine was quiet, yesterday was crazy busy. Other skiers and boarders – probably around 15. Hikers – too many to count! Riverc0il, madpatski, chickthatrips, fixedorfree – great to meet you. Thanks to all the skiers, boarders, and hikers cheering everyone on. Thanks to all the random people who wanted pictures, everybody out enjoying the mountains, and the guys in the parking lot who gave me a steak tip at the end of the day. And special thanks to everyone there from NUHOC, for feeding me and for proving that Northeastern University people are the hardest of the hard core!!

Here’s a link to all the pictures I took; lots of people there and too many pics for a trip report.

Riverc0il and madpatski were already getting geared up when I pulled into Pinkham. I was on the trail by 9:20, which for me is practically the crack of dawn. Chickthatrips and a friend had been skiing Sluice, and laid in a nice boot pack – thanks!

View from the top of Sluice. I got a little too aggressive by my third run, and got an old-school Tux smackdown when my skis skidded out from under me.

Sluice, above and below.

After my fourth run on Sluice, I headed over to the heart-shaped patch below Chute and the remains of the Center Headwall. Here’s a view of Sluice from the Headwall area, with lots of people at Lunch Rocks.

Turns on the heart-shaped patch!

Turns on Center Headwall!

Perfect summer day in the ravine.

That’s it for me; I’m out of town for the next two weekends and I think that three weeks from now even Sluice will be pretty well burnt out. An amazing year; looking forward to seeing everyone back out there in October!

Yup...dedication well expressed!

Nice season!
    Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!

Comment

Way to go. We need to start the Tux July Club, for those who will take those last turns. October cometh. See you out there, and good on ya!
      Forget the toys. He who dies having had the most fun wins.

Comment

nice!

Way to stretch out and end the season! I've enjoyed reading your TR's watching the runs get shorter and shorter...

Comment

August or bust!

Get a blue tarp and cover it up.....

Comment

Hmmm, makes me think? Two years ago it was July 10th. I think I could beat that.
            Hmmm, makes me think.

Nice report and I'll bet a fun day for sure.
            Free your Heel, ski for Real

Comment

Originally posted by snowcrazy View Post
              Wow, what a great day to end my season on.
              All ready???? You just started your 2011-2012 one week ago, didn't you? (I believe that you mentioned earlier).

Originally posted by snowcrazy View Post
              Thatís it for me; Iím out of town for the next two weekends and I think that three weeks from now even Sluice will be pretty well burnt out.
              The way you were going after snow patches like a snow crazy person on Saturday, you might have some skiable snow in three weeks. Yeck, you were willing to get after those Lower Chute and that tiny Lower Headwall patches, odds are you'll could find the equivalent on July 23d.

July is done...Bluesfest starts tomorrow. I'll start worrying after my turns for next month once we reach August.
              Ski Mad World
              A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
              madpatski.wordpress.com

Comment

Good to meet you snowcrazy, it was indeed a glorious day.
                Measure the ascent not in miles hiked but turns earned.

Comment

Congrats on July turns, guys! I wanted to be come up too but duty -- and the beach -- calls. See y'all in October!

How was the black fly situation? I still have bites from my last Tux adventure.

Comment

Great to meet you snowcrazy!

My ski partner and I were quite impressed when you went over to ski all the patches of snow in Tux on Saturday. And we were really surprised at how many people showed up to ski/ride. Quickly becoming the thing to do on July 4th (if you can't afford to fly out to Mammoth!)

Video courtesy of one of the day hikers (via MadPatSki)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx0kwcfPJTk

Until October then.

Joanne
                    A day in the mountains is worth a month in the city

Comment

Originally posted by snowmonster View Post
                      Congrats on July turns, guys! I wanted to be come up too but duty -- and the beach -- calls. See y'all in October!

How was the black fly situation? I still have bites from my last Tux adventure.
                      Compared to last time:

Less to no black flies.
                      More girl snowboarders ... in bikinis.

You don't know what you missed snowmonster.

Aiming to get a TR up in the next few days...it's hard, Bluesfest started tonight.
                      Ski Mad World
                      A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
                      madpatski.wordpress.com

Comment

No July Turns for Harkin

Sorry I've gotta miss out this year, my back just went out six days ago. I'll have to be happy with the Summer Solstice turns I got, which is always a close second to July! Still, that's six July's out of the last ten for me! I'm all over that Tux in July idea!
                        Fools run schuss where angels fear to stem.

Comment

Originally posted by MadPatSki View Post
                          More girl snowboarders ... in bikinis.
                          Now, I am REALLY JEALOUS.

Looking forward to your TR, madpatski!

Comment

Originally posted by Fixed_or_Free View Post
                            Good to meet you snowcrazy, it was indeed a glorious day.
                            Which skier were you? I have some pictures on my site, I might have shot some of you.

snowmonster reaaaaaaaaally missed out.
                            -Steve

TheSnowWay.com
                            "Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life." - Otto Schniebs

Comment

Oh, rub it in, why dontcha? Glad you guys had some excellent turns!

Comment

Working...
                              X