Westside snirt hits the fan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Westside snirt hits the fan

My worst fears have materialized. The Cog is charging $10 per person/day or $100 for a season pass to ski, hike, or step foot on their property for any reason.
    https://www.thecog.com/winter-land-u...e-cog-railway/
    "The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait till that other is ready." - Henry David Thoreau

Not sure how "
    To preserve, promote, maintain, improve and protect the property for primitive recreational purposes" squares with their plans to open a hotel on the slopes of the Rockpile.
    Sponsored by Black Coffee and Breakfast Burritos.

Comment

Not sure how "to p
      reserve, promote, maintain, improve and protect the property for primitive recreational purposes" squares with their plans to open a hotel on the slopes of the Rockpile.
      Sponsored by Black Coffee and Breakfast Burritos.

Comment

I wonder what they think of the WMNF trail basically ending in their parking lot. Are they going to be all aggressive about that?

Comment

Originally posted by bucksaw View Post
          I wonder what they think of the WMNF trail basically ending in their parking lot. Are they going to be all aggressive about that?
          Officially, the WMNF trail stays in the forest, off the Cog's property, and ends at the WMNF trailhead parking lot a half mile downhill. The Forest Service was forced by Wayne Presby to relocate both the ART and Jewell Trail, when USFS shutdown Wayne's plan to run Cog Ski Trains to the summit and send skiers down via Tuckerman Ravine. We need USFS to open the trailhead parking lot and plow it for the winter!!!
          "The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait till that other is ready." - Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Itís their property, they have every right to charge. The ART and lower lot are right there if one doesnít want to spend the 10.00. Bring a shovel. What an entitled bunch some winter enthusiasts have become....

Comment

After 7 years without publicly-publicly-anncounced closure by the property holder for at least 1 day per year, the public gains a right of way under New Hampshire law. This might be used to prevent charging for to access the WMNF.

Also, there is a limit to the amount of land that can be posted for no trespassing, which is about 30 acres, if I remember correctly. This also might provide a legal angle to resist this move.
              Think snow, low winds, and sun!

Comment

Friend paid the 10.00 this am. No big deal. They had the place to themselves in 6-8Ē of fresh on a solid base on a weekend. So the fee is a good thing for crowd control maybe. Keep all of the entitled cheapskates away.

Comment

Working...
                X