Lions Head Route to Summit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lions Head Route to Summit

Wondering about feasibility of going up winter route this coming weekend WITHOUT crampon/axe but with light traction/adjustable poles. I've never skied from summit and thinking I might change things up a bit. I guess I'd be looking for a recommendation about snowshoes as well. Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by Andy1 View Post
    Wondering about feasibility of going up winter route this coming weekend WITHOUT crampon/axe but with light traction/adjustable poles. I've never skied from summit and thinking I might change things up a bit. I guess I'd be looking for a recommendation about snowshoes as well. Thanks in advance.

I have never done it without them, and always been very very happy I had them. Brought a group of seven up LH to the top a week ago Sunday——It's only a few hundred vertical where you really really need them, but for that stretch they sure as hell are useful. It's damn steep and I'd think still plenty of snow, and if nothing else you'd burn up a lot of energy and also be an annoying danger to adequately equipped folks overtaking you. My 2¢.

Comment

Crampons definite. You won't be skiing from the summit this weekend. Snowfields yes, summit no. Enjoy!

Comment

I'll third the worthies above. once off the icy steeps you can stow the crampons and axe. The poles will be handy
        Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!

Comment

Working...
        X