• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cog Commercializes the Westside

My worst fears about the Cog are materializing:
    https://www.thecog.com/ski-the-cog/
    Read it and weep.
    "The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait till that other is ready." - Henry David Thoreau

Didn’t they try this before except with the train ?

http://www.nelsap.org/nh/cog.html

Comment

This one was an easy call. They realized there was money in it with very little expense. Good on'em for realizing it and setting the sting at such a tiny amount. Too cheap to pay their parking fee...slog it from the forest service parking lot 1/2 mile down the road.
      Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!

Comment

Originally posted by Lftgly View Post
        Read it and weep.
        See what happens when you leave the West Side and the area, Lftgly?!
        On a more serious note, I'm not ready to give them slack, RR. Yes, technically it is their property and they can do whatever they want with it. But goodwill would go much farther than $1000 (minus parking attendant salary) they'll earn over the season, especially the season like this one.
        Don't see many reasons to be on the west side this season, but if i do, I'd rather schlep extra 1/2 mile than pay to the greedy bstrds!

Comment

So where's the $100.00 per car per day fee for Vermonters? Green plate premium fee. That would be awesome👍.

Comment

Read it and weep.

AHH Lefty do you only stop by with bad news now-a-days?

That website looks more like a joke then for real. But it prolly isn't a joke.

Question is the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trailhead even plowed? not that there's snow this year but I don't think it is normally plowed... so you may be stuck paying the 10 bucks and won't even have the option of parking at the the also fee required NFS lot.

Checking the googly they marks both the bottom NFS lot and the upper dirt lot as Ammo Trail heads (https://www.google.com/maps/@44.2694....356108,16.09z)

Comment

I agree with Rog, GM Gareth should charge Vermonters a parking premium, like a 6pack of HeadyTopper, for all the gas they save not driving to Pinkham.
              And if you think I'm only sharing bad news, Bucksaw, be glad I'm not posting TRs from Arkansas, there isnt any skiing to write home about.
              Yes, concordia, i knew as soon as my back was turned, and Charlie Kenneson retired as GM, skiing the Cog for free wouldn't last long. For years, I've dreamed of a Cog-bypass route that would get us to and from treeline, around the inevitable ropes, gates, and no-trespass signs along the RR trax. Unfortunately, the USFS parking lot, even if plowed, is not a skier- or snowboard-friendly terminus for the ART. I'll begrudgingly pay the Cog $10 dues, rather than waste an hour in bad terrain. Payback for opposing their Skyline Hotel is a *****, isnt it. This is what happens when skiers and hikers poke the bear. The current Cog GM ushered in the era of Cannon charging for uphill skinning, and closed Mittersill to free backcountry skiing, before moving to Marshfield Station. Be nice to the Cog, they could make matters much worse.
              "The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait till that other is ready." - Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Don't worry, I'm sure GBA is working on a solution in their BIG PUSH to, as they say, "advance the sport of backcountry skiing in NH and Western Maine". Lol.

Comment

Umm.... this was sort of inevitable considering how big the crowds have gotten on a nice April weekend. It will be interesting if they bother with this on a weekday. As i recall a few springs ago the cog did have a parking attendant taking $5 on a few weekends. I remember shuttling several skiers from the Forest service lot so we only had to pay for one car....the service lot wasn't plowed but the entrance to it was mostly melted out. Speaking of the west side.... hoping today's nor'easter will help us out..
                  StoneMan

Comment

#notawestsideyearsadbuttrue

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1520093184168.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	276685
                      Originally posted by icelanticskier View Post
                      Don't worry, I'm sure GBA is working on a solution in their BIG PUSH to, as they say, "advance the sport of backcountry skiing in NH and Western Maine". Lol.
                      Yeah, I was going to say, "I've got it!", have GBA volunteers shovel out the Forest Service trailhead parking lot! and 16 hours of work will earn each volunteer a 1-year USFS parking pass! We could even accept green-plate-staters, mainiacs, and mhole volunteers! But then Rog took the winds out of my sails with #NotaWestsideYearSadButTrue The USFS trailhead parking lot may already be melted out to dry pavement, judging by the Cog Railway's FB photo of the Ammo River bridge replacement project, posted Friday, March 2

Comment

Originally posted by stoneman View Post
                        Umm....As i recall a few springs ago the cog did have a parking attendant taking $5 on a few weekends. I remember shuttling several skiers from the Forest service lot so we only had to pay for one car....the service lot wasn't plowed but the entrance to it was mostly melted out. Speaking of the west side.... hoping today's nor'easter will help us out..
                        Furthering the discussion, YES, the Cog collected $5/car parking fees from hikers and skiers for several years, then discontinued charging for the past 2 or 3 years - I lost track of how long it was "free", the Cog simply asked that you park at the bottom lot, so hikers & skiers weren't taking the best spots from Cog railway ticket purchasers. So the $10/car fee is a new policy, double the previous rate.
                        The Cog's justification for $5 was that the Forest Service charged $3 for a 1-day parking pass, and it was 3/4 miles downhill.
                        The Forest Service has raised the parking fees since then. Its now $5/day, $30/year

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n276685[/ATTACH]
                          Yeah, I was going to say, "I've got it!", have GBA volunteers shovel out the Forest Service trailhead parking lot! and 16 hours of work will earn each volunteer a 1-year USFS parking pass! We could even accept green-plate-staters, mainiacs, and mhole volunteers! But then Rog took the winds out of my sails with #NotaWestsideYearSadButTrue The USFS trailhead parking lot may already be melted out to dry pavement, judging by the Cog Railway's FB photo of the Ammo River bridge replacement project, posted Friday, March 2
                          Haha!!! Hey those GBA volunteers are "quarry dogs", jeesh!😜

Wow based on that pic of the snowpack of the west side, the GBA glades must be epic right now. Especially since they're SE facing and low lol.

J, you got outta dodge just in time......

Comment

I hate to say it, but that gdam Forest Service parking pass fee increase may be responsible for this increase in the Cog parking fee. I never agreed with USFS charging American citizens to park on our own "public lands", but thats another thread topic i will post, named "beating a dead horse". The FS trailhead was created because the Cog owners were mad at the hikers and skiers (and search-and-rescue orgs) who didnt want Cog Railway riders dropping into Tuckerman Ravine off the summit, and shutdown Wayne Presby & Joel Bedor's Cog Ski Train with the "no motorized access" rule. Presby & Bedor made the Forest Service spend about $100K building the trailhead further down the Base Station Road (on that "public land"), and NO hikers were permitted to park at the Cog to access the Jewell Trail and Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail.
                            After the Forest Service pissed away all that money, the Cog began to look the other way when hikers parked on their private land.
                            Let us not forget who pays to plow that Base Station Road all winter. NH taxpayers. Thats NHDOT maintained, right to the lower Cog hiker parking lot, where DOT turns the snowplow around and plows back down the hill to US302.
                            Oh, this is dredging up old, bad memories. Rumors are that I cannot blame the former Cannon assistant manager for the new Cog policy. Who is the General Manager at the Cog now? He/she holds the fate of parking fees in their hands, unless this new policy came down from Presby & Bedor themselves.

Comment

Seems the Cog has gone further off the rails.

http://www.newhampshire.com/Mount-Wa...at-atop-summit

Comment

Working...
                              X