Gba

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gba

"Going the extra mile". where do I send the cookie? Lol. Assuming that Quarry dogs like cookies....

Following in randygheygram footsteps creating SE facing treegnar is moar SE and ESE facing treegnar in Evans notch. There goes the neighborhood......

Comment

Rog you still on this? Lol. Omg. For the soul of skiing..your soul, let them be. For me there are no rules for skiing, other than stay alive to ski another day. Let them clear the glades; I ran up doublehead yesterday and it looks no different. Like none. Not taking anything away from their efforts but it's those that make tracks across the whole trail rather than saving some fresh that bothers me, but even that is just another element of nature taking its course that I don't lose sleep over. I'll get mine one way or another.

This board should stick to just skiing topics in general...keep the long ranting reports and hard nosed elitist opinions to a minimal...especially the redundant ones that say the same thing every time.

Comment

Yup still on it. if doublehead looks no different, then *** were they all doing up there? The CCC trails have always been kept skiable by volunteers/locals. I've never seen or skied the CCC trails and said to myself, "hey this trail is too narrow" or "this parking lot needs to be bigger with porto potties and signs everywhere". Gba is doing nothing but creating an unnecessary buzz to busy our wilds with folks that more than likely wouldn't have the time or energy to find the goods on their own. And for what? EGO stroke is all.

Comment

GBA are opening and/or strengthening links between local groups in diverse areas of the mountains. As a member of The Access Fund, which does much the same for climbing, I get that. That alone is quite useful when it comes to dealing with land managers. At the least it has our communities ready to support each other's projects and even provide help with issues

Sometimes land managers are already willing, but need to see an enduring comittment before they will work with resource users or resource user groups. Letterhead and a mailing address are often all it takes but always being able to pick up the phone and reach somebody at need can be a deal-maker for responsible land managers. GBA offers that.

Those are enough for me and even outweigh the silliness of SE facing trail clearing/glading.
          Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!

Comment

I agree with RR and I definitely hear you Rog, I totally get it. I do and I don't totally disagree. But I just don't think it is enough to rob away the essence of the experience necessarily. I guarantee those zones will not be skied out more than usual on any given powder day over the course of time. Maybe I am wrong. I also understand your sentiment to years past and all your great memories of skiing up there when it was wild. It obvious a lot of these new enthusiasts need something to latch on to in their mundane lives...it's human nature. Social media breeds this. They are "skiers" in there mind and feel connected when they read the news or see stoke pics. They say, ooo, I can do that. But the effort and commitment will eventually fade? I find it almost no more offensive than an old school enthusiast who thinks he or she has to preach rules of non existent back country rules then ranting like anyone really cares. (Not necessarily referring to you) That's narcissism just as well. It's like this in this site a few years back. Some pics and a POV video here and there and everyone up in arms but I can attest, as you did last year on some of your own tours, mid winter pow day or day after...there are still crickets up there. Thankfully. I definitely have seen more traffic to hojos and GOS but again I feel like there are a lot of tire kickers out there as well.

Comment

I don't know, I do think hojos and the Sherburne has all been effected by this recent craze...I can see a bright side to new zones in conjunction with the social media craze?

Comment

That's all well and good Rob, but you may feel differently when they drop a dime on you and your projects.... they seem to be setting themselves up as the gatekeepers, and unsanctioned work may or may not be tolerated. I don't think there is much of a comparison with the Access Fund.... different ways of operating and different goals.
                StoneMan

Comment

Given the principals, dime-drops seem unlikely. Because the GBA take their direction from locals, that self-empowered gatekeeper status also seems unlikely.

There is a locals group in the region in question, which has been slower to respond to the GBA but there is a connection or two between locals and the GBA. As a very interested outsider, I feel better about taking a step back and waiting for the locals to express their interests and concerns.
                  Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!

Comment

Originally posted by stoneman View Post
                    That's all well and good Rob, but you may feel differently when they drop a dime on you and your projects.... they seem to be setting themselves up as the gatekeepers, and unsanctioned work may or may not be tolerated. I don't think there is much of a comparison with the Access Fund.... different ways of operating and different goals.
                    Totally agree^^^^^^. Gatekeepers, Yes. The thing that is so pathetic is that GBA chief will call out to the media and government agencies and condemn rogue glade work yet he skis unsanctioned stuff himself and has for years and years. The stuff in town that he has skied often on his lunch break is totally illegally cut stuff. Dwarf land? Yup. Etc etc. if yer gonna call that stuff out you better not be skiing unsanctioned stuff. And then GBA uses the illegally cut line near Wildcat to puff out their chests and spread their no illegally cut lines/glades will be tolerated message but I know full well that they woulda continued skiing it had it not become a problem. And what is the problem with BC skiing not being part of the forest services plan? We are free to move about on snow pretty much wherever we want without being part of some plan. BC skiing ain't broken. Doesn't need fixing. Lines will continue to be illegally cut on the same pace or more as ever before whether GBA likes it or not. Skiers I know seek out peace and quiet in the woods and will and do create their own lines to enjoy with very little impact. Much unlike 80 quarry dogs cutting the forest and making a huge buzz while at it.

Comment

Originally posted by RR View Post
                      Given the principals, dime-drops seem unlikely. Because the GBA take their direction from locals, that self-empowered gatekeeper status also seems unlikely.

There is a locals group in the region in question, which has been slower to respond to the GBA but there is a connection or two between locals and the GBA. As a very interested outsider, I feel better about taking a step back and waiting for the locals to express their interests and concerns.
                      Those locals may want to think long and hard about sharing anything with GBA. And why would they want to. Just keep in keeping on.

I know some Western Maine skiers who are VERY concerned about GBA's interest in their backyards.

Comment

Bottom line is if you build/create package it, and sell the **** out of it, they will come. We don't need that kind of scene. All it's gonna create is more crowding, more chatter, more beta share....social media is doing it tenfold so why add to it?

Comment

Originally posted by jofalc123 View Post
                          I guarantee those zones will not be skied out more than usual on any given powder day over the course of time. Maybe I am wrong. .
                          Haha you can't be serious. I'd say you are VERY wrong here. Over 2000 followers and how how many quarrydogs cutting back a few trails and clearing some glades, add down your throat marketing/selling of those "history making" lol areas and they won't get skied out more rapidly? Holy smokes man think about it😳

Comment

Okay you got me. I'm trying to be, naively, optimistic. It sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by jofalc123 View Post
                              Okay you got me. I'm trying to be, naively, optimistic. It sucks.
                              😀. GBA's Evans notch agenda is a downright travesty.

Comment

Working...
                              X