Conditions May 20-21

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conditions May 20-21

Hey all, been a lurker for sometime this season as i finally convinced myself to check out the ravine for the first time. I planned on heading up this weekend with a small party to hike in and ski hillmans or left gully however, the weather has me a but worried. Without much backcountry experience, I'm not sure if its a great idea for us to head up this weekend, I think the avy report today scared me off a bit along with the mixed precipitation and relatively high winds of the next few days. I was hoping I could get some input from the community as to what i may be like this weekend in terms of snow saftey and conditions. Will there still be a bootpack for most terrain, or will it be filled in or iced over from the recent precipitation. I understand predictions can be fickle on mt Washington and that one needs to always be cautious when venturing into the backcountry, but i was just looking for some honest opinions. We will not have crampons or ice axes as none of us have used them and we dont think its a great idea to try them out in a possibly critical situation. If its the general consencious that it will be iced over and sketchy, thats fine, better to know now and call it than to show up and have a bad time. We can either ski saturday, sunday or not at all if it doesnt look good. I guess ill just leave it at that for now. Thanks in advance!

It's gonna be Africa hot all week into the weekend with zero refreeze in site. All that new snow and then some should be melted and headed to and in the Atlantic before you and your crew head up. Bootpack? Ya there will be bootpack. Runnels, wet slide/stuff debris? Yup. Moguls? Yup. Snirt? Highly likely. You'll be fine. Just stay away from the lip area.

Comment

You won't need crampons or ice axes either.

Comment

you think the skiing will be any good given how wet you think itll be? also where does everyone get their weather for mount washington, ive found a few sources but they vary in predictions

Comment

Higher Summit Forecast is good, but short range: https://www.mountwashington.org/expe...-forecast.aspx

Weather Underground is my preferred long range: https://www.wunderground.com/q/zmw:03589.1.99999
          Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!

Comment

I go with NOAA for Jackson. Always have always will. Higher summits forecast as well. Skiing wil be good a few days out. Not too wet.

Comment

Saturday and Sunday look like the picks of the week for turns. Not too warm not too cold.

Oh and to effectively use NOAA for Jackson you must have the sacred decoder ring 😉

Comment

I saw Weather Underground making some wild predictions on several occasions this season. Can be used as a very rough guideline, then Higher Summits Forecast - for one day out

Comment

ill have to drink more ovaltine to get the ring then

Comment

Originally posted by belowe View Post
                    ill have to drink more ovaltine to get the ring then
                    I've done the guessing for you. Friday nite flash freeze at elevation followed by wonderful corn snow or at least quasi corn and sun for Saturday and rinse/repeat for Sunday with the road open to the Summit as early as Saturday mid day or morning even. Just go!

Comment

BAM! My guess from a few days ago was spot on....including the road opening. Thanx NOAA per usual😀. Enjoy!

Comment

Working...
                      X