• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CAST Touring Binding

https://www.tetongravity.com/story/g...rket-yet-again

Anyone see this?

The price is steep but great concept.

Still think a mountaineer boot with tech fitting would be the revolution that changes ski mountaineering.

Those have been around for years. Still cannot find fault with the Marker F12 tours I've been using for lift served and touring for years. No fuss and 100% reliable. Still. No tech fitted boots or walk modes needed.

Comment

#gbasnowminer now eh Jones? 🤔😀

Comment

Serious prob, just on appearences.... No climbing bar. Even a quarter mile of 25% grade ascent would be tough on the achilles
        Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!

Comment

just extra krap to carry and deal with. if yer a good smooth skier and ski/treat the BC as it should be, you don't need 14-18 din to keep you in yer skis.
          Last edited by icelanticskier; 04-21-2017, 09:16 AM.

Comment

it has a climbing bar... two of them actually

Comment

Thanks! I need to get new glasses....

Comment

I've seen these before and quickly dismissed them for "too much sh1t to carry around'

Is there any reason not to just use the tech toe with the heel unit all the time?

Comment

Originally posted by icelanticskier View Post
                  Those have been around for years. Still cannot find fault with the Marker F12 tours I've been using for lift served and touring for years. No fuss and 100% reliable. Still. No tech fitted boots or walk modes needed.

I would say heavy. A light tour binding really does make a big difference when touring.

I just got back from doing a multi-day tour (haute traverse) and we got to see a lot of gear. One group that was out there with us were a bunch of hard charging skiers mostly on alpine frame bindings. Our group was all touring tech bindings and tour boots like a TLT. Each day our two groups would pass each other multiple times: we would pass them on the up, they would pass us on the down. The other group were much stronger skiers and given how strong they skid I would say they were more fit. But time after time wed catch and pass them on the up.

It was interesting to see how things shook out and the difference it made.

Comment

Originally posted by bucksaw View Post

I would say heavy. A light tour binding really does make a big difference when touring.

I just got back from doing a multi-day tour (haute traverse) and we got to see a lot of gear. One group that was out there with us were a bunch of hard charging skiers mostly on alpine frame bindings. Our group was all touring tech bindings and tour boots like a TLT. Each day our two groups would pass each other multiple times: we would pass them on the up, they would pass us on the down. The other group were much stronger skiers and given how strong they ski’d I would say they were more fit. But time after time we’d catch and pass them on the up.

It was interesting to see how things shook out and the difference it made.

Eh, it's all what your used to. If your fit and strong the frame binder and heavy skis/alpine boots aren't heavy. I do the same days (up to 10k of climbing) on heavy gear as I did on my much lighter AT setup of some years back and the main difference is that my heavy gear skis way better. Very happy on my mantras with markers
                    And Lange DH boots for all day tours. Don't slow me down any.

Comment

....DH boots for all day tours. Don't slow me down any.
                      for each of us it's different, but for all of us there comes a time when they will.

Comment

Originally posted by bucksaw View Post
                        I just got back from doing a multi-day tour (haute traverse) and we got to see a lot of gear.
                        Not to steal the thread, but - can you do a trip report, please? I'll ask this question in a more appropriate thread.

Comment

http://www.timefortuckerman.com/foru...ute-route-pack

Comment

Eh, it's all what your used to. If your fit and strong the frame binder and heavy skis/alpine boots aren't heavy. I do the same days (up to 10k of climbing) on heavy gear as I did on my much lighter AT setup of some years back and the main difference is that my heavy gear skis way better. Very happy on my mantras with markers
                            And Lange DH boots for all day tours. Don't slow me down any.
                            I normally would agree with you but I watched sexagenarians pass youngsters with frame bindings. This newer stuff really makes a significant difference on the up and it is impressive to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by concordia2 View Post
                              Not to steal the thread, but - can you do a trip report, please? I'll ask this question in a more appropriate thread.
                              Ah yes, I will. Currently I am sorting some photos for upload.

Comment

Working...
                              X