Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto Road Update!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/m...3350717&type=3

Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!

The dates for Slackfest will be adjusted to get a bit more vert. Watch this space and others for updates.

Right now it's probably the 1st or 2nd weekend of May, but it depends on the Auto Road being open.

Comment

I'm hoping that the road is open by the last weekend of April. Yeah slackfest!

Comment

I would love to attend again this year, had a blast last year. I don't know if you remember me RR, you lent me some sunblock after the damage was done, thanks. I left my sunblock in my car, and was too lazy to hike up and get it. I hiked Tux the following day, skied Sluice. Is Dolly Copp open for camping prior to Memorial Day Weekend? If I come, I'll bring some Spiedies with me, mmm Spiedies.

Comment

Sun, corn, sliding, walking back up, grilling, working up a serious thirst, quenching it...

Children, dogs, skiing, boarding, laughter....

These are the pillars of Slackfest!

Com'on up!

If it looks like the snow won't last 'till Memorial Day, the 10th Mountain Slalom will take place at Slackfest. It's a chance to focus the memory on the sacrifices the 10th made, and still make...I'll remember to be grateful, the first veterans of the 10th taught America to ski.

Comment

Originally posted by Cornhead View Post
            Is Dolly Copp open for camping prior to Memorial Day Weekend?
            WMNF Barnes Field on Dolly Copp Rd is pretty much always open.
            I cant wait to slack fest! Steves Corned Beef Burgers were amazing. More Please?
            More Snow Please?
            My Blog

Comment

Website last week said that worst case scenario for the road would be torrential rain will still frozen culverts. Lets hope they cleared all those suckers! Damn it poured today down here in Southern ME.

Comment

Watching with interest
                http://easternbackcountry.com | Twitter: @eastbackcountry

Comment

When Will it Open? Will Slackfest 2012 Involve Actual Snowsliding? What Meats Grill Best at 6000'?

tune in next week for the Exciting Conclusion to...

[insert a funny title here. my creativity just fizzled.]
                  the mtl_ripper, shredding snow shenanigans

Comment

Opening days (to the summit, as to treeline is pointless for skiing) in recent years:

2011: May 15
                    2010: May 17
                    2009: May 16
                    2008: May 24 [correction to previous transcription error]
                    2007: May 25 (poor coverage with strange distribution: NE snowfield gone, and max vert was M-i-L @ ~350')
                    2006: May 27
                    2005: May 30 (open to coaches only, with Airforce drop-off allowed)
                    2004: May 14 (very poor coverage)
                    Last edited by jshefftz; 05-03-2012, 07:07 AM.
                    Check out the NE Rando Race Series: http://nerandorace.blogspot.com/ ... and also my avalanche and related courses: http://avycourse.blogspot.com. (For other avalanche course providers anywhere, feel free to use any of my "homework" assignments for your own courses too.)

Comment

Thanks J, I hope to bring the whole family up!!
                      the mtl_ripper, shredding snow shenanigans

Comment

Originally posted by jshefftz View Post
                        2007: May 25 (poor coverage with strange distribution: NE snowfield gone, and max vert was M-i-L @ ~350')
                        Please explain!??!

Just want to know what you're refering to.

paul
                        Remember, it's not life-altering, it's just life.

Comment

Originally posted by pleblanc View Post
                          Please explain!??!

Just want to know what you're refering to.

paul
                          An April snowstorm had come through with the "wrong" wind direction. Here's the April 20 2007 avy bulletin:

“The mountain has coverage in areas that haven’t seen a decent snowpack in quite a while. Many of these locations are atypical based on the uniqueness of the latest 34”/85cm storm and its prolonged E and NE winds over 100mph(161kph).”

So by the time Otto opened in May, total coverage was poor.
                          But, lines like Mother-in-Law and the West Snowfields had about as much cover as they usually do at the peak of the overall snowpack ... so that lines that usually had the least cover, now had the most!
                          Check out the NE Rando Race Series: http://nerandorace.blogspot.com/ ... and also my avalanche and related courses: http://avycourse.blogspot.com. (For other avalanche course providers anywhere, feel free to use any of my "homework" assignments for your own courses too.)

Comment

I remember that spring! I got to do so many lines untouched for sooo long. It was like a whole new mountain!
                            Carvé Diem!
                            Energy follows thought

Comment

tux was awesome well into june that spring. sluice skied great on june 10th.

rog

Comment

Working...
                              X