No announcement yet.

LOM visit to Lunch rocks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This was not your standard fall down Tucks (incase the heli didn't give that away..). Strangely enough, besides being so lengthy (he fell down the entire length of chute), the fall didn't look insanely bad. He never contacted the rocks on skiers right but did do quite a few cartwheels on some solid snow that was still in the shade. He came to rest about 20 feet above me and two of my buddies at which point it was very evident he had seriously injured himself. We ran to his aid with about 6 others and called for the ski patrol... Quite the unsettling scene and I'm honestly pretty surprised to hear he was released from the hospital that evening...After staying with this guy till the ski patrol made their way up we continued on up the chute, took one run and felt way to shaken up to continue skiing. Real glad to hear that this guy is probably going to be ok- it was a pretty disturbing/sobering scene in the moments after the fall. A stark reminder of the potential consequences of making mistakes in the ravine.

Comment

Originally posted by cspiegel1 View Post
      This was not your standard fall down Tucks .......
      .....He came to rest about 20 feet above me and two of my buddies at which point it was very evident he had seriously injured himself.
      Thanks for the description and for joining here to post it. Did he have a helmet on?

Comment

Originally posted by cspiegel1 View Post
        ...- it was a pretty disturbing/sobering scene in the moments after the fall. A stark reminder of the potential consequences of making mistakes in the ravine.
        Real gut clenchers seem to happen with some regularity. Over the years I've seen a few wild falls...was also one for the books many years ago.

Fortunately, most skiers and riders getting that far up in the Ravine are in good enough training to take a few knocks and turn out to be sore and such, but also be okay in short order. I hope that guy takes time to be sure of complete recovery...brain and spinal tissues are slow to recover.
        Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!

Comment

Originally posted by M V Skier View Post
          Did he have a helmet on?
          Yes, he was wearing a helmet. Begin discussion about whether or not a helmet will protect you in an 800 ft fall.

Comment

Originally posted by surfsnowywaves View Post
            Yes, he was wearing a helmet. Begin discussion about whether or not a helmet will protect you in an 800 ft fall.
            As a hat goes, until it undergoes existence failure, at least it will still be a hat and remain on the wearer's head
            Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!

Comment

My roommate who was with me said his helmet was pretty darn beat up (cracked) after the fall..no surprises there, but that is a direct indicator that it absorbed some of the energy from the fall and there's your answer- a helmet was definitely helpful in this 800 ft fall.

Comment

Working...
              X